The Launch of the First Lesbian Magazine in the Philippines: My Femme Magazine

Sunday, January 25, 2009


Cover of the Pilot Issue

A lot of lesbians, from different ages, kinds, shapes and sizes, gathered at the Sir William's Hotel Functon Room in Timog Ave, Quezon City to celebrate the launch of the first lesbian magazine in the Philippines which is My Femme Magazine (MFM). My girlfriend and I were among the first people to be there and got ourselves free shots of tequila while waiting for the program to start. Entrance was free (but the drinks weren't ;) ) and the program started around 10:30 pm. It was actually like a normal exclusive party for lesbians, however there are some men who were there (I'm not just sure if they're friends of the organizers or gays?). There were dance numbers, games and models. We got the chance to choose the next My Femme cover girl for the next issue by voting the models of our choice.

Please read the rest of the article here.

3 comments:

spammity January 26, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

I didn't go because i was turned off by the title of the magazine. any magazine with the title "myfemme" will never ever be politically correct and will surely subscribe to stereotypical gender roles

Rockerfem Sha January 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

I went there because I was invited by a chatmate of mine way back. Well, yes you're correct. It subscribes to stereotypical gender roles. It was a good move to do this kind of magazine however like what I said it lacked depth in understanding the issue of lesbianism. It resorts to the likes of mainstream media when women's bodies are being used as commodities ( i.e. as shown on its cover and also having a section of "my femme cover girl profile"). Well, we as readers can contribute to the magazine. I hope that this becomes a challenge for them to improve the magazine.

Weeqender LGBTQ Travel & Lifestyle November 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

Right, there lies the challenge. I saw a copy of the mag and what I've read only reinforces Pinoy's stereotypes of lesbians. The same goes with its website. Myfemme only represents one part of the lesbian spectrum and I'd like to see more. On the bright side, now we have a (print) mag for lesbians. Others wanting to go into magazine publishing may want to be more considerate of the community's diversity.

About This Blog

PinoyLGBT is a blog on Philippine Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual/Transgender community.

Blog Catalog

My Bloglog

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP